Things [ Hand Made ]

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

My chance to wonder about hand made things and tell the world about those I make, love and cherish!

Monday 17 September 2007

Knit and Stitch show

Had a great day out at the Knitting and Stitching show at the NEC. I went with 2 friends who had not been before. I find the exhibitions fantastic. You get really interesting work form Textile artists. Most memorable were the Primmy Chorley/Jessica Chorley and the exhibition by Julie Arkell. This type of work that looks at the domestic and use of recycled/found objects really appeals to me. It reminds me of how I used to really enjoy making things as a child just for the enjoyment of making things. I get distracted by new techniques but this reminded me of how much fun it can be just sticking and gluing. Of course, their exhibitions were much more than sticking and gluing but for me it was a lot about the intrinsic pleasure of crating something. I also realised that I generally make out of recycled materials rather that new.
Also saw a great short film on Wire jewellery so now convinced that I need a tiara with all sorts of bits dangling off it. i have lots of beads that I want to use and this gave me some more ideas other than just stringing them.
We also went to a fashion show by Junky Styling who use charity shop clothes and reuse them in interesting ways. Some great ideas, particularly for an outfit that looked a bit like a waitress.
It was a lovely day out and really refreshing. I didn't spend too much money but bought a couple of books and some beads. Quite restrained really. Loads of new ideas which will be appearing here shortly!

No comments: