Things [ Hand Made ]

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

My chance to wonder about hand made things and tell the world about those I make, love and cherish!

Friday 12 December 2008

A little bit of applique

Well, moving on from my last post, still a little bruised but not beaten, I will show you something I have made for a friend that she did like!
So much so that I need to make her another one. She seems to have the most fertile of friends and she asks me to make gifts to celebrate the little people coming into the world.
I had forgotten how much I like applique, I used to do quite a bit. It all started with a Humpty Dumpty Cushion I made as part of A level textiles which the teacher really loved and I can remember thinking how easy it was to do.
I was reminded when at the Vintage and Handmade fair I met Ginny and Alice and their new book. I decided to dig out the bondaweb and start sticking. There is something very satisfying about building up the layers. I know its only a picture of a rather straightforward boat but its nice to pick and choose the colours and think about the button details. I have made some others into mini quilts but the camera is playing up again so I will take a picture when I can. This is the mini quilt version, altough I now see the bottom edge is a bit wonky, it just adds so the sea feeling!
There are a lot of people out there who do applique.
Here are some I have admired for a while and some I have come across recently.
Belinda Downes
Janet Bolton
Heidi Rhodes
Lucy at Attic 24
Willemein Stevens


Thanks for the kind comments and emails about the last post. I am not sure what to do with this little love token now as I do not have much love for it so the offer still stands, if anyone would like it, I will happily send it to you.

5 comments:

Shabby Chick said...

Hi, I've just had a peek at your blog and it's lovely. I really like the applique boat picture, puts me to shame! Do you find it easier to bondaweb first? I always find that makes it impossible to get a needle through!

Anyway I hope you don't mind me popping in x

Shabby Chick said...

Ahh I wondered if it was just me that found it hard with bondaweb, maybe I need to be more tough with it! I suppose it's a trade off between how easy it is versus how hard wearing and non fraying it will be.

Thanks for the feedback on the book, I do mainly use books like that for a little escapism and to look at the pretty pictures as I don't get all that much time to make things!

Mel x

angharad handmade said...

The boat appliques are so cute! Lovely idea for a gift.

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Hi! I love the applique boat. I've done applique at school, but forgotten everything. What is bondaweb?

Anonymous said...

I love the wonky boat - very authentic. But the buttons are just perfect, too.

P x